Is an empty space from a missing tooth causing you problems when chewing? Are you concerned about your appearance? Or are you suffering from altered speech? If so, you are probably looking for the perfect solution to replace missing teeth. Fortunately, your dentist, Dr. Clark Wright in Venice, FL, can help you find the perfect treatment option.
Problems with tooth loss
- Teeth help to stimulate the jaw bone. If you are missing teeth, the bone that supported them is no longer stimulated and will deteriorate.
- Missing teeth will leave gaps for the remaining teeth to shift and move. This shifting can impact your entire bite.
- Bite irregularities impact the health of your remaining teeth, your gums, your head and neck, your jaw muscles, and various joints.
- Gaps between your teeth can cause ineffective chewing, which then can affect digestion.
- Your teeth help support the shape and structure of your face. Missing teeth can impact facial aesthetics.
- Missing teeth can affect your speech, making it difficult to pronounce certain words. You may experience slurring, whistling, or even spitting when speaking.
Dr. Wright in Venice, FL, can help you avoid all these issues. There are different ways to replace missing teeth, restore proper functioning, and regain your beautiful smile.
What are dental implants?
Dental implants are synthetic structures that are surgically placed into your jawbone. After the implant has been positioned, it fuses with the bone over several months, acting as the root for the missing tooth. An artificial tooth, a permanent bridge, or dentures can then be attached to the implant. The process of fusing the implant with the bone (osseointegration) supports the jaw bone as much as the attached artificial structure.
Because dental implants are inserted into the bone, they have the advantage of not slipping while you chew or talk.
Who can receive a dental implant?
Not everyone is a candidate for a dental implant. For a successful implant to take hold, you must have healthy gums and plenty of healthy bone in the location of the implant. You must commit to good oral hygiene and regular dental visits. Your overall health is also essential to determining whether or not you are a good candidate for dental implants. Dr. Wright in Venice, FL, will work with you to find out if dental implants are the right solution for you.
To learn more about how Dr. Wright can help restore the full functionality of your smile with dental implants, call our Venice, FL, office at (941) 493-5923.